Monday, March 1, 2010

Fate

Let me tell you a story about fate. Or, rather, let me tell you a story about luck, Whether dumb luck, blind luck or just bad luck, I'm not sure; you decide. A few weeks ago, on a Friday morning, I had a plan before work: go to the library, go to the post office, and go to Tim Horton's. All things to do for that day, but not necessarily in that order. It just so happens that there are a Tim Horton's really close to the library and a library really close to the post office very close to where I live. I thought, "I'll do that all right away and the go to work." Then I decided (for once, I was being smart and thinking ahead) to check to see if I could roll down my window. You know how in the winter, sometimes it gets frozen in place? I hate going through a drive thru and not being able to roll down the window. Then you have to open your door to order and look like a doofus? When I tried to roll it down, it was stuck, so I thought, "Oh, well. I drive all the way to school (because there is another Tim's and post office very close to where I work) and just drop the books off after school." So that was the new plan. Well, I decided to try just one more time to get the window down, and voila! It worked! So I went the alternate route that took me to the Tim's close to my house. (This is where BAD luck steps in.) On this alternate route to work, a route that I never travel in the mornings, I got a speeding ticket. Yes, a speeding ticket for going 35 in a school zone during restricted hours. Oh, oh, it hurts so much! I almost didn't even go that way. If only my stupid window had stayed frozen, or if I hadn't tried it one more time, this whole disaster could have been averted.

And that is my story about dumb luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment